The Rectory – 052 6187464
St Pauls Church – Cahir
St. Pauls Church, Cahir, is one of only two known churches designed by the celebrated English architect, John Nash. Private architect to King George IV, Nash built the church at a cost of 2,307 pounds (at this time far larger churches were built for less than half of this).
It is a very accomplished Gothic Revival work, with its dramatic spire a major landmark in the town of Cahir. Completed in 1818, it was consecrated on 4th February 1820, by the bishop of Waterford and Lismore, the Honourable and Right Reverend Richard Bourke. The reason for this delay was to test the massive spire on the foundations.
The decorative smaller spires and pinnacles to the exterior emphasise the fine tower and spire by drawing the eye up at all points. The high-quality ashlar limestone walls, parapets and crenellations, as well as the hood mouldings and the variety of windows, all add to the visual appeal of the building.
The interior is also very fine and intact, having timber galleries, lecterns and pulpits. The church is one of the few of the Regency period to have most of it’s original interior layout, the most important features being the exquisite plasterwork ceiling and decoratively-carved pine pews, with individual doors.
With a seating capacity of 200, St.Pauls is a well-maintained and richly-decorated church.The church has a vast array of all types of memorials, predominantly wall-tablets, but also some stained glass windows. The finest window represents a Knight in full armour, with visor raised, and is the work of the celebrated Sir Ninian Comper, (who designed the windows at Westminster Abbey) and dates from 1930.
The organ is of particular note and was installed by Peter Conacher and Co., in 1896, in a specially built room, which blends in splendidly with the church architecture. The main feature of the church yard is it’s only tomb – that of the Glengall Butler’s, who instigated the building of this, one of the premier architectural attractions of Cahir and a wide area beyond.
It is acknowledged that architecturally speaking, St. Paul’s church is the next most important building in Cahir Town, after Cahir Castle.